Sunday, May 04, 2014

Emi's Birth Story

Wednesday, April 30th was my official due date...Sadly, it came and went.  Friday afternoon I was super tired, so I laid down for a nap and woke up with the worst headache/migraine.  I also noticed that my hands and feet were a little swollen and I was having some pains across my stomach.  After taking some tylenol and having it do nothing, I called labor and delivery to see if I should come in and get checked out since all of those are signs of preclampsia.

After checking with my midwife, they told me to come in.  We left our house between 9-10pm (Kurt wasn't too happy...he was ready for bed).  After checking in, they discovered my blood pressure was a little elevated and I had protein in my urine.  They decided to run some blood test - luckily, everything turned out all right.

Since I was already overdue, my midwife decided to keep me and said they'd induce me in the morning.  They gave me a sleeping pill and told me to rest for tomorrow's big day.  I slept pretty well..Kurt, on the other hand, had a crappy pull out chair bed.

Saturday morning, they fed me breakfast, suggested I shower, and got things set up for the day.  Between 9 and 10 am, they started me on pitocin.  Kurt and I pretty much just hung out most of the day and waited for the contractions to get regular.  The nurses were also monitoring my blood pressure, because it was still semi-elevated.

After 4pm, I started feeling the contractions more and asked for an epidural.  The anesthesiologist was in surgery, so I had to wait around for a little while.  A little while longer, he finally came and I was able to relax until Emi arrived.  I had been hanging around 4cm all day long.  Around 7:30pm, the midwife came and checked on me and I was about 6cm.  As with all my kids...they thought I still had a while to go.

Around 8:15 or 8:30pm, I started feeling more pain.  I thought I just needed to up my epidural, but when they came to check me I was already at 10cm and ready to push!

The nurses and midwife came in, set everything up and had me start pushing - within 10 minutes (or about 3 contractions) Emi was here!!!  Other than waiting around all day, she was my easiest delivery.  I tore a little bit, but only needed 2 or 3 small stitches.


Before they cleaned her all up, we got to hold and bond with Emi for about an hour or so.  She looked perfect! Not a single scratch or anything wrong with her.  Our first thought was she didn't look like any of our other kids!  Her skin tone and eyes were much darker, she had TONS of DARK brown hair, and was almost a pound bigger.  We decided she looks more like a Smith (my dad's side of the family).  Our other kids are a pretty good mixture of both Kurt and I.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails