Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Scouter

I'm not sure if we've ever mentioned on our blog that Kurt is our ward's Young Men's President, meaning that he works specifically with the boys ages 16-18. I made him pose for this picture. :) We recently took a trip to the Scouting Shop to buy Kurt a uniform. We still have to sew on the rest of his patches.

Part of his calling is overseeing Wednesday activities including Scouting. Kurt recently started a Venture Scout program in our ward. He's been really excited about it! Instead of dealing with the regular merit badges, advancements, etc., the boys get to do high-adventure sports (biking, rafting, backpacking) and other activities to help them prepare for the future. For example, a couple weeks ago I helped Kurt run a workshop on resume writing and interview skills. The boys that came were really excited because most of them were looking for summer jobs.

2 comments:

Laura said...

My husband is a scouter too. In our last ward he was scout master. When he bought his uniform I told him he had to sew on his new patches... so he took it to his mom and had her sew 'em instead. Now that we have moved his troop number has changed... I will probably cave and sew the new number on.

Marlyse said...

Ah, it reminds me of when I was in boy scouts...working at the camp. So fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails