Friday, June 01, 2012

Avri's Birth Story

WARNING: Prepare for picture overload.

During my doctor's appointment on Tuesday, my Doctor felt confident that if we attempted another induction that it would be successful this time.  Avri had dropped significantly.  Once my contractions were regular they could safely break my water if needed.

So, Wednesday morning we woke up bright and early.  We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 8:30am. Our awesome friends the Gilberts drove us most of the way so that we wouldn't have to be squished on the crowded trains during commute hours and then have to walk the stairs from the Hiroo station (or take a super expensive taxi).  We owe them big time!!!

After we arrived at the hospital, they checked me in, started the necessary paperwork, took blood samples, etc.  Then we started the dreaded process of inserting my IV.  I must have the worlds thinnest veins because it is impossible for anyone to take blood or insert an IV on the first try.  I have the bruises to prove it. (It happens in the US too.)  The first nurse gave up and handed me over to the doctor who also struggled, but finally found a vein that worked.  They started me on fluids and pitocin (or the Japanese equivalent) right away.

By about 10am, I was settled in the delivery room waiting for my epidural to be inserted.  I was dialated to about 3cm with no contractions.  Once again they started the dosage super low.  We were worried that we were in for the same situation as last time.

Around 1pm, the doctor came in to examine me and I was about 4cm.  During the exam she broke my water which I was a little surprised about.  She might have mentioned something in Japanese, but I have no idea. lol  Things started picking up a little after than, albeit slowly.  I held off asking for the epidural medicine as long as possible for fear of slowing down the contractions, which I think helped some.

Around 6pm, I was dialated to about 7-8cm.  Since I had my epidural I was feeling ok and was playing on Facebook and Pinterest to pass the time. :)  The delivery rooms at Aiiku Hospital are very small with no frills.  Kurt did have a decent chair with foot rest and a little fridge.  No TV, A/C, etc. They referred to my bed as a "table". 

At 8pm, I was still around 7cm, but I could feel more of the contractions through the epidural and asked for them to up the pain meds.  At this point, I thought we still had a couple more hours to go, but boy was I wrong! 

Sometime between 8:30-8:40pm, Avri's heart rate dropped dramatically and seriously a dozen of doctors and nurses came rushing in. It reminded Kurt of a bunch of little Japanese elves running in. They said the baby needed to come out NOW!  They rolled me on my side and gave me an oxygen mask. Kurt said one of the nurses was pressing on my stomach, which I don't remember at all.  I'm pretty sure I either ran out of the epidural medicine or they shut it off (which is common in Japan) because I felt everything!  I'm sure glad I didn't have to push very long, because it was very painful!  Much more so than Logan or Kelsie.  I told Kurt several times that I had to stop and couldn't do it anymore.  He said I about ripped off his hand.

Finally, she was out!
Avri Elizabeth
born May 30th, 2012
Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan
6lb. 8oz.
19.3 inches long

She was beautiful from the very beginning and reminds us a lot of Logan.  
Long and skinny, very alert and curious.

Because of the quick delivery I ended up tearing and needed some stitches which I was a little bummed about.  Since she is pretty petite I'm sure she would have come out just fine had I not needed to be rushed.

The next day Kurt brought my mom and the kids to meet Avri.  One thing that I found super annoying was that visiting hours didn't start until 1pm, which included the dads!  They are also not allowed to stay the night, so I was all by myself from about 11:15pm until 1pm the next day.  It wouldn't have been a huge deal, but since I was in a different country it could have been nice to have my Japanese speaking husband around!

Logan & Kelsie proudly holding their new Baby Sister!

Avri meeting her Grandma Smith.

Avri and her Daddy.

After a little bit of a struggle, we convinced the hospital to discharge us on Friday.  Japanese women typically stay in the hospital for 5-7 days; so me trying to leave after 2 was unheard of.  Luckily, this is where it pays to have your doctor be the head of the ENTIRE hospital comes in.  He told me at an earlier appointment that if I wasn't having any complications I'd be ok to go home.  (Our US insurance will only cover 2 days, unless there is something wrong.)

Luckily, Kelsie and I passed our discharge exams and we were ok'd to go home!  President Nagano (our recently released Branch President) drove us home, so that we didn't have to risk little Avri's life in a taxi. :)

When we arrived home, we were greeted with cute notes and beautiful flowers.


Aleena said...

Congratulations! I am so happy you and your baby are healthy!

Who is Pin Dot? said...

So crazy and brave of you! And your kids have gotten so big...Kelsie is beautiful...that hair! Good job and congrats!!

Robin said...

Nice! Great story. Yeah, one thing I wonder is why in the WORLD do women choose to do unmedicated birth? It hurts like crazy! I've thought it's been wild having so many different policies with different hospitals in different states, but I've never done a different country! That is crazy. Dad's not allowed to stay?!? Strange.

Marlyse said...

I'm just catching up on my google reader. Again, I'm so glad she's there. You're stronger than I am. I would NOT want my husband leaving...she's so pretty! Congrats!


Related Posts with Thumbnails