Friday, May 10, 2013

Japanese Grapevine

I was at a conference the other day and one of the attendees mentioned that his wife knew about my wife. I was a bit perplexed as I didn't know how that would be possible. It turns out, Rachel is famous in the neighborhood gossip circles TWO FREAKING STATIONS away from our house! In perspective, that's like someone just randomly happening to know you from some other city. Random.

I was obviously curious and asked him how she knew so much about Rachel. Apparently, all the moms have been talking through the various Yochien and club circles about this Rachel Keyser who lives in Yukigayaotsuka. Apparently they were trying to figure out a way to connect with her and help her feel welcome because she doesn't speak Japanese and lives outside of the "Gaijin Triangle" (foreigner-friendly part of Tokyo). He said she brings it up all the time. "I really need to figure out something to do to help her feel more comfortable here!"

I found the whole thing very humorous.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails